Post Number: 1069
|Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 09:18 pm: ||
It's been said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over the same way and expecting different results. I'm not quite insane, we've had rod bearing failures on the 8hp L-A and Nadler engines, I've gone from pouirng them as inserts as the factory did to pouring them in the rod to get a formed fit. Running them looser helped, I realized that I was taking down sloppy worn engines that were running and building them close like a modern engine and having failures. I decided to have some bearing shells cast, bore them in the 3 jaw, put them on a mandrel and turn the OD. Next step will be to make a fixture to hold the shell on the shaft of an electric motor and spin cast the Babbitt into a tinned shell. The shell will then be placed back in the 3 jaw and bored to fit the ground shaft, cut with a slitting saw and back into the rod, filed flat and shimmed for clearance.