|Lycoming UA1100 4 cylinder info?
|Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 09:32 pm: ||
I have a 1933 Dodge 16' Utility with a Lycoming UA1100 45 horse 4 cylinder engine. It's in great shape, and has been stored for 35 years, turned over frequently and has been kept oiled. Does anyone have any information on this engine, sources of parts, anything at all is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance..
Best regards - Dave Triano
|Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:17 pm: ||
I have just stumbled on this from hit&miss
engines somehow. But I do have a small interest
in marine engines as I have a couple single cyl.
inboard marine engines and a 4 cyl. marine
inboard eng. called "Arnolt"(flathead) that I
will send in for information. Now, I read your
message and had to answer something as I am
retired from Textron-Lycoming in Williamsport,
PA. We make piston aircraft engines for mostly
the whole world.I will have to see how much in-
formation I can get you on your Lycoming eng.
as we are the plant that made them, way back
when. I think we still have one on display in
the plant. Well, I usually don't write this long
as I am pretty new to this stuff. I'll see if I
fimd more for you. Also, go to eBay on engines
then marine then type in Lycoming. There is a
Lycoming site there somewhere. See ya.
|Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 01:35 pm: ||
Thanks for your message. As I have gotten to work with my Lycoming more and my knowledge base has increased, I now know that it is a model UAB (1100 was the part # cast in the head...duh). I brought it inside the shop to get it in working order again (we have darn cold winters here in Tahoe). First thing I did was to attempt a compression check. In order to do that, I wanted to make sure that it was loose enough (been sitting for 30+ years, but a small amount of oil added to the top end avery six months). I ended up hooking up a 1/2" drill motor with a 'T' drive to engage the one-way drive on the flywheel, and by turning it over for a while with a bit of penetrating oil in the top end, compression soon came up to 70+ lbs. on each of the four cylinders. With that success, I removed all ancillary items (starter, generator, distributor, carb, and coil), stripped down all of the old paint (there was the original medium gray, and a darker coat that someone had splashed on later), carefully degreased, acid etched, and applied a carefully matched new paint coat. New polished stainless head bolts in place, new gaskets in all areas except the copper head gasket (compression is fine, so I'm going to try to run with the existing one), and rebuilds for all of the other ancillary items. Ebay has been wonderful in this effort, as I have been able to come by all of the original technician manuals from AutoLite (starter and generator), Delco-Remy(distributor), and Mallory (coil) to make it an educational and fun exercise. Ebay has provided tons of new parts as well, such as new brushes for starter and generator, points, rotor, and cap for distributor, new equipment tags, all new-old stock. I'm keeping all of these items as original (6V system), just adding a bit of glamour with polishing of some of the brass and bronze fittings. I'll post pix if anyone is interested. Come warmer weather, I'll fire it up on the stand to see how it does, all indications are that it should fire up fine. It's obviously a -very- low time engine, as everything is in stellar shape, when I had the covers off, all internal parts are literally pristine with zero wear. I also have found one or two sources for Lycoming marine parts, if anyone needs them....The boat (Dodge 301 Utility) is coming along well too, should be ready for Spring launching. Best regards - Dave Triano
|Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 02:30 pm: ||
Hope these are readable !
|Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 02:44 pm: ||
Above info from 1935 catalog
|Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 03:59 pm: ||
Thanks for those images, that's my baby! Seems exactly the same except for the oil cooler connection lines, the ones in the picture are different. Probably a change for 34 or 35, as mine is a 33. Funny how you get to know every nook and cranny of a project when you really dig in and do a thorough job with it.
Happy holidays - Dave