Post Number: 1
|Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 03:50 pm: ||
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but I've just aquired a P5M engine serial no 19068 with a Stuart carb. It was totally reconditioned by Fairways Marine in 1989 but never refitted in a boat. It was stored in a dry garage and appears to be complete with silencer, exhaust pipes, prop & shaft and all documentaion. I have a few questions:-
1) How old is the engine - can you tell from the serial number?
2) Engine turns over with lots of compression on the starting handle, so I intend to bolt it down on a bench and attempt to start it - any tips?
3) If started like this without the silencer fitted(the connections don't seem to match)although it will be noisy will it run OK or is the pipe & silencer essential?
4) Presumably the fuel has to be gravity fed with a temporary tank.
5) for the water cooling will a hose in a bucket of water be OK?
Thanks in advance.
|Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 05:35 pm: ||
Silencer not important for running.
Gravity fed fuel.
For best results you need to some gravity to the water pump, but once it picks up it pressurises ok.
Looks to be early 1950's.
Mine walked across the floor with a wood base, but behaved with rubber wheels.