Home | Classifieds | History | Technical | Links | Store | About Us | Email
Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

St Lawrence two-lung ignition and tim...

Old Marine Engine » One and Two Cylinder Gas Inboards » St Lawrence two-lung ignition and timing - need advice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harv
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help! I have a two-lung St Lawrence serial 561 with Schebler D carb. The carb and engine body look complete, but the ignition system looks like a recent jerry-rig. It consists of two sets of automotive points, each with its own coil and condenser, and both are operated by a roughly-made cam on the shaft. I've no idea what the original ignition system should look like. Does anyone know of a site with some good photos. The engine is intended as a display for a small maritime museum, and while getting it running isn't a priority, it would be a 'nice-to-do' sometime down the road. Thanks.

andrew
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harv,
Can you post a picture of it? Most of the St Lawrence engines I have seen were timed with a lever and contact points on the crank between the flywheel and the cylinder. A picture of your engine might confirm.

Below is a 2 cylinder model:

doug11k
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harv, Try this site: http://www.disappearingpropellerboat.com/specifications.html

J.B. Castagnos
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harv, that's my 2 cylinder Andrew has pictured. I had to rebuild the timer assembly. If you look through the flywheel in the bottom picture you'll see a round bar on each side of the timer. These have a stud brazed to them and are held to the lever through insulating washers, a wire goes from these to each coil. The bar is drilled to accept a spring and brush. On the crankshaft is a comutator made of insulating material. It's held to the flywheel by two countersunk screws, one of these goes through a brass contact that's inlaid into the insulating ring. The brushes rub on the ring, when they hit the brass contact it provides a ground, allowing it to fire. These engines use a buzz coil and do not need an external condensor. If you need any more info e-mail me.

Harv
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing on the flywheel end but the flywheel. The ignition setup is a home-built affair on the end opposite the flywheel and is not stock. Apparently 20 years ago some students dug the engine out of a swamp and got it running as a class project. None of the photos I've seen yet show enough detail of the stock ignition system to give me an idea of what I should be looking for - the only thing I can see is a brass lever a foot or so long. Unfortunately attending an engine show to see the real thing is not an option. The St Lawrence spec sheet was great as an addition to the museum display, but still doesn't have enough detail of the ignition system.

Harv
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

\image

Harv
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

StL 001

Harv
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2003 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally figured out how to post pictures. Here is the ignition setup.
StL 003

Keith
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harv
I will add a few pictures this afternoon, of my St Lawrence with a gear driven water pump and timer mounted to the rear of the engine.

Keith

Keith
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture1

keith
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Again.
St Lawerence

keith
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SL

Keith
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/image{ST2}

Keith
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ST2

Keith
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the things that is different about this engine, than other St Lawerence engines that I have seen, is the oval tag. Is this early or late? There is no serial no on the tag. Harv, I can email better pictures if needed.
Keith
ST3

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page

Home | Classifieds | History | Technical | Links | Store | About Us | Email
&copy 2005 OldMarineEngine.com, P.O. Box 188, Forest Dale, VT 05745-0188 • Phone: 802-247-4864 • All rights reserved.
   Marine Engine Seloc Repair Manual Lookup Tool

marine gas engine repair and restoration